Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Afternoon skiing

I normally ski in the morning, but I arrived home late last night from DC and I had some follow up actions from the last two days that I wanted to get done before forgetting what they were, so today for day 34 of my 2005-06 season I didn't venture out until after lunch.

It's been relatively warm so the six inches we've had in the last 48 hours is a little wet and heavy. Fortunately a significant storm is forecast for tonight with lower temperatures so the prospects of a true powder day tomorrow are good.

I saw Billy Kidd with a big group of admirers on Heavenly Daze as I rode the gondola. As a former downhill world champion and Olympic medallist he's fortunate that he's a good enough skier to get away with that silly cowboy hat. Yes he's been in Steamboat for 25 years but give me a break, the guy is from Vermont!

It was quite foggy on the upper part of the mountain so I stayed close to the trees as you can see from today's map. Triangle 3 in particular had some nice soft stuff and some really interesting wind blown contours.

No comments: