Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm addicted to a white powder

Champagne Powder® that is! The report at 5 am said 11 inches, but it's still snowing and I reckon it was quite a bit deeper than that in places.

Day 43 of my 2005-06 season (and powder day 16!) started at 8.30 am on the Thunderhead Express with a run down Concentration, then a second run through the trees to the skiers' right of Concentration. Then I met a long time local on the chair who showed me a new run down the old Arrowhead lift line which took us eventually to first tracks on Mother Nature.

I then moved over to the Storm Peak Express for a run down the Bar-UE lift line and the trees to the skiers right followed by Drop Out to the Pony Express where I did several circuits and found plenty of fresh, deep powder lines. Then over to my favourite combo of Shadows/Lights Out before some lovely powder covered bumps on BC Liftline. By then my legs were giving out and I also needed to be home for a meeting at 11 am so it was back down via Valley View and See Ya. That's over 16,000 vertical feet in a little over two hours. Wow!


And to make it even better, I made a significant improvement in my powder skiing technique today simply by adjusting the position of my inside hand a few inches. It's amazing how quite subtle changes can make such a big difference.

No comments: