Sunday, January 29, 2006

Powder weekend

When Saturday and Sunday are both powder days with a total of nearly two feet of new snow that must make it a "powder weekend". A bit more crowded than a powder Monday, but still a lot of fun.

Today was a quick shot - out at 8.30 am when the Thunderhead Express chair opened and finished by 10.30 am. I need to travel this afternoon (back to DC for two days) and my legs are still feeling the effects of yesterday's marathon session (5 hours of hard skiing almost non-stop).

It was a race from the top of the BC Chair to Sunnyside for first tracks. I lost out to a couple of guys on telemark skis but still got a nice untracked line, and was the only one who took the cut off to the left towards Moonlight.

Two O'Clock was a little wind blown and crusty in places, but in amongst the trees on Shadows and Lights Out it was just perfect (there's a reason this is my favourite run).

Even the massive bumps on Whiteout - Steamboat's quintessential bump run (I don't think they ever groom this one) - and BC Liftline were no match for the deep powder. It almost feels like cheating skiing it on a day like today!

Even on the lower mountain at 10 am there were nice powder lines to be had - in the trees beside Valley View and also on See Ya which I enjoyed so much I went back for seconds while waiting for my ride.

No comments: