Thursday, August 04, 2005

Why Steamboat "Dreaming"?

If you are wondering where the "dreaming" in the title of my blog comes from, there's two reasons I picked that title.

The first reason is that living in a ski resort is the realisation of a life long dream. I've always loved mountains and snow, so much so that when I was a small child my stated ambition when asked what I wanted to do when I grew up was 'to live in Switzerland' (even then it seems I knew the difference between making a living and making a life). Once I began skiing in my early twenties that ambition transformed into the dream of living in a ski resort, and here I am living in "Ski Town USA".

The second reason is to pay tribute to Australia's original inhabitants, the aborigines, whose creation myths are captured in the stories of the dreamtime, stories which reflect the deep connections of aboriginal culture to the land and the animals of Australia.

Qantas has paid the same tribute by painting several of their aircraft with traditional aboriginal paintings and giving them names from the dreamtime: Yananyi Dreaming, a 737-800, Nalanji Dreaming a 747-300 and my favourite, Wunula Dreaming, a 747-400 shown below.

No comments: