Thursday, August 18, 2005

A new definition of pathetic

Today I discovered the only thing I hate more than email spammers and senders of unsolicited 'pre-approved' credit card offers are blog comment spammers, scum-sucking, bottom-dwelling, slithering piece of s..t parasites who use automated software to attach comments advertising all manner of snake oil to blogs.

The one attached to my blog was (past tense since I deleted it) pushing stock in a company called Energy & Asset Technology, Inc (EGTY). I checked out the stock's performance and discovered they're down 91% in the past 12 months and 60% in the past week.

One really weird thing given that this practice is totally unethical and anti-social is that the spam incorporated a disclosure statement, including the standard recommendation to seek professional advice from a registered financial advisor. Yep, I can just imagine telling my financial advisor I want to buy a stock I saw advertised in a blog comment spam!

But I particularly liked this gem:

Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest... due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares

Translation: This firm is on the way out, but we plan to dupe you into buying some of our shares before they become completely worthless.

I can't for the life of me understand how people who do stuff like this can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. Do they not realise what truly pathetic excuses for human beings they are?

Update: Google has introduced a "word verification" option (a form of CAPTCHA or 'reverse Turing test') for comments to prevent this sort of automated comment spam. It's now turned on, so die spammers, die!

1 comment:

Dan Hill said...

Looks like I found my namesake and found that he has the same views as me on this subject. The same company found it's way onto my blog comments as well.
A good one for a laugh the first time around but there is no space for spam either in my inbox or on my blog.

I reluctant turned on the word verification on my blog yesterday, as within 30 minutes of my latest post (at the time) going up I had 2 spam comments on there. I tried to hold out for as long as I could as I don't like putting up obstacles to inconvenience genuine commenters.

The thing I hate, is the fact that the only reason spam exists is because there are a minority (despite being ridiculously small) of what I can only assume are idiots that fall for the scams, click and hand the spamming agents the revenue they need that encourages them to do it again.

If all those years ago no-one paid heed to these spammers the epidemic would have been over before it begun and private email would still be a viable medium to work with.