Friday, February 16, 2007

Windy Friday

Today was every bit as bad as yesterday was good. It's blowing a gale - 40-50 mph - and messing things up completely.

First up the gondola was closed due to the wind, so I stood in a long line to ride the Headwall Chair, so I could ski down to the Christy Chair to stand in another long line, so I could ski across to the Thunderhead Express so I could, you guessed it, stand in a long line. I hope Steamboat's new owners were watching today, because this mountain really doesn't work when the gondola isn't running.

Then it was down to the Sundown Express because the Storm Peak Express was also closed. There was no line there, but the chair stopped for ten minutes just as I was about to get on. It could have been worse though. I might have been on the chair fully exposed to the wind.

When I eventually got to the top of the mountain after about an hour it definitely wasn't worth it. I expected to find some more powder in the trees since it snowed some more last night, but all I found was heavy, crusty crap. I did eventually find some decent snow lower down the mountain off to the side of Sunnyside, so I rode the Elkhead Chair a few times to savour that, and also some nice soft bumps on BC Liftline and Whiteout. But all in all, I would have preferred to stay in bed this morning.

Here's the map of today's runs for a total of 9,296 vertical ft and a season total of 343,765 vertical ft (or 34.4% of my season goal of skiing one million vertical ft).

No comments: