Sunday, March 12, 2006

Winter skiing in spring

After all the spring skiing we've had recently, now we're back to winter skiing. It was much colder today (but not bitterly cold) and snowing. I missed a powder day yesterday, but it was nice and soft in most places, and we're expecting a powder day tomorrow.

I began with my usual run down Rudi's and Blizzard to the Storm Peak Express. To the idiot who skied into me on Ego, the protocol is give way to the downhill skier.

I thought I might find some leftover powder from yesterday in the trees so I headed immediately to Closet/Shadows/Lights Out. Unfortunately it was a little skied out and the bumps underneath were pretty crusty after last week's thaw. My next run on Twilight was better and then I skied a couple of runs including Quickdraw, High Noon and Rolex with Tom and Erin from Philadelphia who own a condo right across the road from our old condo.

After they headed in for a hot chocolate I headed into the 1.30 trees followed by the trees between the Priest Creek Chair and Three O'Clock, both of which were very nice, then the trees of Hot Cakes down to the Morningside Chair up to The Ridge, Big Meadow and lower Buddy's.

After the BC Chair I ran the bumps of Norther and then I explored the trees between the switchbacks of Why Not. While the trees were a little shrubbier than is ideal, the snow in there was virtually untouched. I was however glad to be wearing a helmet because I collected quite a few small branches with my head.

From the Thunderhead Express my final run was down Vertigo which was better than I expected. The bumps underneath were soft and there was still quite a bit of powder on top.

It's only been six days since I last skied but it felt really good to be back on the mountain. I don't know how I'm going to get through this summer.

Anyway, here's the map of day 52 of my 2005-06 season.

No comments: