Sunday, April 20, 2008

Still not over

My ski season is still not over because I went hiking for turns again today. This time I went all the way to the top of the gondola. Here's the track:


The best part of the day was on Norther where I found untracked spring corn. Here's what it looked like before I skied it:


And here's what it looked like after I'd laid down some tracks:


Check this out for a ridiculous amount of snow two weeks after the mountain has closed:


And this is off Rudi's which is mid-mountain; there's even more snow at the top of the mountain!

Finally today's stats:

Vertical ft: 2,025 hiking up, 2,481 skiing down (Marie dropped me at Thunderhead which gave me 450 ft for free)
Maximum speed: 38.3 mph
Average climbing speed: 2.0 mph

You can see the difference between hiking up and skiing down quite clearly in this graph (the first dip is when I skied Norther and then climbed back up):


Hiking up gives you a whole new perspective on the mountain. In particular everything seems a whole lot steeper when you have to get up it under your own power. Even areas I think of as flat when I ski them actually have a distinct grade to them.

No comments: