Friday, April 18, 2008

Earning your turns

The opera's not over until the fat lady sings, and the ski season's not over until I stop skiing. Which means that the ski season is not over.

Those of you paying attention will be asking how that can be when I reported on closing day back on April 6.

It's called "earning your turns" - strapping your skis to your back and getting to the top of the mountain the old fashioned way. Like this:


You can see the gradual increase in elevation at quite slow speeds as I snowshoe up, and then some sudden spikes in speed and drop in elevation around the 1:45 hour mark as I begin to ski down.


Yes it's a lot of work, but worth it so you can do this when the lifts have stopped running and everyone has gone to the beach:


I was accompanied by my lovely wife Marie who took the great photo above and who thinks it's quite amusing wearing her summer hat on the snow:


So add one day and 1,726 ft of vertical to my 2007-08 season total!

No comments: