Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Unexplained hotel charges

After checking my online credit card statement recently I noticed an unexplained second charge from the hotel I had stayed at near Paris Charles de Gaulle airport on my return trip from Morocco.

American Express has a really neat feature that allows you to simply click on a charge in the online statement and submit a query, so I did that. About a week later I noticed the charge had been reversed (and today when I collected my mail I had a nice letter from Amex telling me the same). Obviously that's the result I was looking for, and I'm pleased by the speed at which it was resolved, but I'm still in the dark as to what happened. Neither Amex or the hotel provided me with any explanation of what this charge was for and how it appeared on my account.

Was it an honest mistake, or was the Radisson SAS trying to rip me off, hoping that I wouldn't notice, or if I did, that I simply wouldn't bother to challenge a charge for nine dollars and a few cents? It's not like these guys need to find extra sources of revenue. 2oo euros (about US$250) a night for a fairly average hotel room with no breakfast included and that's at a corporate rate. It's not like I was staying in central Paris on the Champs Élysées.

And here's the greatest mystery about hotels. It seems the more expensive the room, the less likely that the high speed internet is included. How can the Homestead Suites and the like throw it in with a room costing $60 a night, but these guys want an extra 20 euros on top of the $250 they are already charging?

No comments: