Friday, June 17, 2005

Imagine if Fedex were this bad

I've just flown from Denver to Brisbane, Australia and once again the airline has managed to misplace one of my suitcases.

A review of my experience with lost luggage over the past 2 years shows that the "mishandled" luggage rate is about 10%. While in every case my suitcase has been found and delivered within 24 hours, it really is a staggeringly poor performance. Imagine if Fedex, who literally handle millions of packages a day, misplaced one package in ten.

I've mostly experienced lost luggage with Qantas and United but that's because I've flown with them much more often than other airlines. I think it's a systemic problem with the way all airlines handle luggage. Time for them to get together though their industry group (IATA) and solve the problem. Hint: ask Fedex or UPS how they do it.

No comments: