Saturday, December 26, 2009

Back in the trees

It was snowing when I went to bed last night, so I set the alarm to check the snow report first thing this morning. When I read that there had been six inches of new snow and that they were finally opening Steamboat's classic tree runs on the Priest Creek face I made sure I was at the gondola early enough to be in the fourth car to load.

A quick run down Rudi's and Blizzard to the Four Points chair and then Sunset to the Sundown Express ready for it to open at 9 am. And then it was on. A quick run down the Priest Creek liftline cutting across to lower 3 O'Clock was followed by Twilight and then upper Shadows (I bailed out at Dawn in order to avoid a long traverse since the trees below Duster are still closed).

The snow was deep and untracked if a little heavy in places with some quite deep drifts, a couple of which brought me unstuck. But it was still awesome to be back skiing these runs.

Here's the track. 11:39 vertical ft (season total 288,710 ft) in 2:15.

No comments: