Friday, July 08, 2005

Mountain picnic

I took a couple of hours out of my work this afternoon to ride the gondola, which you can do for free during the summer on your season ski pass, and have a picnic on the mountain. The squirrels were itching for some table droppings, but while it would liven up this post, I'm glad the aroma of our lunch didn't attract any bears.

The columbines, Colorado's state flower, are in bloom at the moment. Here's some we saw on the mountain today.


Up above, some hang gliders were riding the thermals and I reckon one of them had made it as high as 12 or 13 thousand feet, which is pretty good when you launch from the top of the gondola at 9 and a bit thousand.

Finally, we took a drive out to Oak Creek this evening to try out Chelseas Chinese restaurant. Now that I've tried every Chinese restaurant in the Yampa Valley I can say with certainty that while there are a million good reasons to visit, the Chinese food isn't one of them. Fortunately we're off to Hong Kong in a little over a week, so I'll soon get my fix of some real Chinese food!

No comments: